Sunday, September 13, 2009

K-W Knitters Fair


Yesterday's Kitchener Waterloo Knitters Fair was tremendous. Many thanks to all those who organized and worked the event. There were dozens of booths showing yarn, fiber, patterns, knitting books and DVDs and knitted goods from LYS all over Southern Ontario, as well as booths from local fiber producers, spinners and dyers. And, for an event this size, there was easy access to parking, refreshments, bathrooms and rest seating. A bank machine too, although I'm not sure I'm grateful for that!

Jenny from Passionknit did a very interesting demonstration of Entrelac. Shirley, Christine and I have agreed that we'll have to try this technique - as Jenny did it, it looked like it may be quite easy once you get the hang of it. And it's certainly very effective with the dramatic colour shifts of Noro. "How long would a blanket like that take?" someone asked. "Well," replied Jenny, "I usually knit one ball a day, so about 22 days from start to finish." One ball a day. Can't quite wrap my head around that!

In the week that remains before Hat Wars, I've decided to knit a pair of mittens. Funky Mittens by Anne Williamson in Soft Touch Heather from Shelridge Farms. Pictures of the first mitten in progress tomorrow, I hope.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Looks like so much fun! I've never tried entrelac either but I'm so tempted.

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

One ball per day???? *faints*

Karen said...

Darn -- sorry we missed you at KW! But next year, for sure!