Tuesday, January 27, 2009

an enjoyable knit

My first Tidal Wave sock is about 2/3rds done. The wave pattern covers the leg, but the rest of the foot is straight stockinette. Which makes sense, because pattern stitches can make a sock uncomfortable in a close fitting shoe, but it makes the work a bit boring. Now I just want to finish the first sock and get back to the fun pattern stitches on the leg of the second sock.

I modified the heel flap - takes some nerve on my part, don't you think? I worked it in stockinette instead of slipping alternate stitches on alternate rows for a reinforced heel. The sock strikes me as a lightweight summery sock, so I opted for a simpler, lighter and thinner heel. The acrylic and nylon blend yarn will give the heel the durability it needs, I'm betting. And, taking a cue from the socks I just finished, I worked the first two stitches on each side of the heel flap in garter stitch to create selvedge edges.

But tonight, after work I've promised myself to get back to the Renee Baby Blanket. It's so nearly finished, it shouldn't take much time to get it done. Am I obsessive about knitting? Maybe. But as the waves flow from my needles, I surprise myself at how much I enjoy knitting these little socks.

No comments: