Monday, January 12, 2009

did I really buy silk?


Didn't have the needles for the body of the Taiga sweater. Mom looked, she didn't have'em either. Went to a boxing day sale at Michaels to find almost all the needles sold out, including the ones I need. So what else could I do? Mom and I went to Spun Fibre Arts on the weekend. And I got the needles. Oh, and a big bottle of Eucalan, and a skein of Cadenza yarn - 80% Superwash Merino and 20% Tussah Silk.

Merino = regarded to be the finest and softest wool of any sheep.
Tussah Silk
= gathered from wild silk worms living naturally in tropical or semi-tropical, after the moth emerges. Generally stronger and more resilient than cultivated "white" silk.

For sure I didn't know all that when I bought the yarn. I just bought it because it is beautiful - a fire truck red with variegations of pink. I nearly wimped out and bought blue but Mom cast the deciding vote, and Red it is. Now to find a fabulous pattern for this yarn. And the time to knit it.

As for the Eucalan, it's highly recommended on Ravelry, so I thought I'd give it a try. Once I finish my Blackberrylicious socks, I'll wash them with Eucalan and then block them on my sock blockers. Everyone says that the Briggs & Little yarn really softens up after washing! Crazy huh, all that processing and then I soak the lanolin back in!

1 comment:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

the colour is fabulous!I bet it feels wondefully lush too.