Sunday, April 29, 2012

Year of Projects: Santa Fe 03

Knitting on the Road: Canada • Canal du Midi • Conwy • Dalarna • Denmark • Friday Harbor • Hiiumaa • Huron Mountain • New England • The Road to Oslo • Santa Fe • Spey Valley • Christmas in Tallinn • Traveler's Stockings • Uinta Cabin • Unst • Whitby

Why yes, my toes really are long and pointy. Although, I suspect that the angle from which this photo was taken has exaggerated them somewhat. But never mind about that, let's look at the socks!

These Santa Fe socks - or Canada Post socks as I've come to think of them -  are done. They're not my most-favourite-ever, but I did learn some very handy things with these socks. I really like this double start double thread cast on. It's a nice change from a ribbed cuff. For these socks I knit the colourwork panels on larger needles; I'm very pleased with how that worked out. And I'm pleased with those little bands of colourwork around the feet; they give these socks a little something extra, don't they?

I'll be on the Road to Oslo next. This next pattern is a short pair of boot socks knit on 3.25mm and 3.5mm needles ... shouldn't take any time at all! Maybe later today I'll have a look through the stash to pick yarn for these. Now we're off to enjoy the warmer temps and the sunshine. I'll catch up with everyone later today!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good timing! I just posted about these socks in my blog week in review, they're really awesome. And I admire your willingness to go back to them, even after they were evil to you.

Sandy said...

AWESOME. Really one of these days I must try my hand at socks, I've enjoyed seeing all of yours so much. These look like Buckeye Colors...Ohio State Colors. Enjoy your trip.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the stripes around the toes. That's my favorite part of those socks.

Congrats on the finish!

kate said...

Again, I admire your tenaciousness in finishing them so well even though you prefer other patterns from the book (me too), but they're still excellent!

Alittlebitsheepish said...

They look great, enjoying seeing your progress through the book

Kim said...

I love the color bands around the feet--they give these socks a little something special. Well done to you for sticking with this book--you have knit a lot of socks!
*smiles*

Andi said...

These look great!

Frieda said...

These are really beautiful , love your colours !

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I love the details on these socks, and agree using the larger needles for the colorwork was the way to go. Another lovely pair!

Stefanie said...

I admire how you're so adventurous with colorwork sock knitting! Cool socks.