Friday, April 20, 2012

Finished Object Friday


I've knit a bulky cowl using this pattern. Based on several Ravelers' notes I made my cowl smaller, after all the coworker for whom this is meant is quite petite and I didn't want it too loose around her neck for warmth. I tried it on, it fits me and there's nothing petite about me, so it's definitely not too small. Nicely sized and it's really comfy and warm. Winner!

The pattern is knit as a moebius loop which is something I hadn't tried before. I used this video tutorial from Cat Bordhi to learn the cast on. Magical knitting, indeed! Somehow or another I found myself knitting outside and inside, around and around, to form a Moebius loop. The beauty of this is that I'm able to knit a circular cowl with a half twist in the round without a seam. If you've ever tried seaming bulky wool, you'll know there's nothing subtle about it.
So this is definitely the way to go.

I love this pattern and now I'm thinking about making a smaller and narrower version for a headband. That should work and once again I'd get that half twist without the seam. But at the moment I'm putting the three balls of leftover bulky yarn I have to good use. I'm knitting a GAP-tastic cowl. Why not, right? Then Jackie has two options: a smaller fitted cowl or a big loopy cowl.

Don't miss out on all the great craft blogs linked up at Tami's Amis today. It's finished object Friday and there's lots to see!

15 comments:

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Oooh, I love cool tips. I'm going to check out the pattern right now! The FO looks great - I'm sure your co-worker will love it.

Anonymous said...

That is really cool!

I tried my hand at that bulky vest. I now know EXACTLY what you mean about seaming AND the slippery yarn would stay secured. YIKES!

mkonieczki said...

This looks like it will be delightfully warm and cozy!

bookworm-Mary said...

It looks lovely and snuggly!

Andria said...

I like how your cowl turned out. I've been eyeing that Gap-tastic cowl for a while, trying to convince myself not to cast on a third project. I'm not sure how long I'll hold out though. That's one lucky co-worker you have. :)

Truly Myrtle said...

That cowl whipped up quickly! It's such a lovely carob colour. I haven't tried the twist thing - although I've certainly twisted my row joining in the round!

Stefanie said...

Cat Bordhi is such a genius, yeah? No one else's moebius twist is as good as hers.
I like how your cowl just fits the neck but isn't choking.

Liz said...

I love the cowl, it looks great and cosy! I love that video, I think I'm going to have to give it a try sometime. I hope your co-worker loves it!

Memo Box said...

That looks lovely and snuggly. Love the yarn you've used.

Kim Sonksen said...

Wow, that looks difficult but the end product is definitely worth it, What a wonderful cowl! Your co-worker is going to be over the moon

Alittlebitsheepish said...

It looks great, I have some leftover bulky yarn so I might have to give this pattern a go

WildflowerWool said...

I love moebius knitting!!! Your cowls look so nice and warm.

Pearlin J said...

Love the cowl, looks so cozy

heather said...

Really love this and the other cowl you posted. I finally have time to hook something for myself and now I can't get inspired to work on a cowl as the weather is turning so nice here!

Dahle said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. Good job on the cowl. It looks great. I have been eyeing that gap one on ravelry too. So pretty.