Tuesday, April 3, 2012

FO: Rib & Braid Pullover


Yippee! I finished it in time to wear it! And - surprise, surprise, it looks like we'll have at least a few more weeks of vest wearing weather.

The pattern is Rib & Braid Pullover, which I knit as a tunic length sleeveless vest. The pattern is very well written and extremely comprehensive. After choosing my size, the pattern included options for a waist length vest, a hip length tunic or a longer jumper, as well as options for a sleeveless style or optional cap sleeves. I worried about whether I could "pick up stitches evenly along the neck edge" for the neck band, but reading further the designer instructs to pick up two stitches for each column in the ribbing, so that was easy enough. It all turned out just fine and it fits exactly as the pattern chart suggests it would. If I knit this pattern again, the only thing I'd change would be to add to the centre front for a higher neckline.

The pattern has surprisingly few projects on Ravelry, which I'm entirely at a loss to explain. The only thing I can figure is perhaps there isn't much of a market for a worsted weight vest? I will say that  I am considering making another vest for myself,  but I've already decided that it will be knit in much lighter yarn - maybe a fingering or sport weight instead.

For this vest I used Briggs & Little Heritage wool in Sheep's Grey. It's my all time favourite yarn, because it's got an interesting tweedy texture, it's a lovely warm grey and it's so-lanolin rich that I think my hands are actually being moisturized as I knit with it. Truth be told the cables within the pattern might be more dramatic with a smoother yarn, but I wanted a comfy, casual vest just like this. I couldn't be happier. I LOVE this vest.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Glad you get to wear it a few times before summer hits!

Sandra said...

Uau!!!
It is beautiful!!!
I love the color, the yarn and the pattern!
The neckline is perfect!!
Fantastic!
I made a vest with aran too, but my neckline was not so good.
Congratulations!!!

pinkundine said...

It looks gorgeous :)

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL! I clicked to make the picture bigger. I just LOVE those cables and how they make a chevron pattern.

Congrats on the finish. It is gorgeous!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It looks terrific! I love it!

geeky Heather said...

Oh, it is gorgeous!! Congratulations on the finish!

Pumpkin said...

That's a good question, why is that not a more popular pattern? I'll never understand how patterns come to be more popular than others. Anyways, it looks fantastic on you! I can definitely see why you might want to knit another one. : )

Stefanie said...

It looks wonderful! Yeah!
You could totally wear this w/a wide belt, skinnies or jeggings, and boots. You could also throw a long sleeve underneath.

One pair of Hands said...

Isn't it great when all that work pays off and you love what you've made. Your vest looks really nice and the neckband is perfect.
for me neck and armhole bands are always a headache. I like the cable pattern too.

Liz said...

The vest looks fantastic! Picking up stitches allways worries me, I'm so afraid of missing one and leaving a hole. I love all the cables, and I can't believe you finshed so quick!

Carolina22 said...

Beautiful!!! Congrats on getting it done - it looks great on you!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

It looks great! You are so prolific.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

It looks great, congratulations :)

Andria said...

Oh wow, I'm just catching up on your last few posts and this vest is amazing! I don't think vests are as popular as they should be, especially one as nice as this!