Monday, April 30, 2012

it's bigger on the inside


Thinking way back in my childhood I can remember my older brother lying under the dining room table ignoring the scratchy texture of the jute rug, to watch Dr. Who on our old B&W TV. I didn't watch. Maybe I was too young to understand it, or maybe it was too odd and too foreign, but he was a fan, even way back when.

So when I saw this pattern for Tardis socks, I thought perfect and hilarious; perfectly hilarious even. While he shakes his head and ponders the unbelievable fact that I have never watched this show, Gavin remarks that the blue yarn should be a bluer, more saturated colour. From what I've seen online he's right, but I chose this more muted blue because it shows the black and white details more clearly. On a darker navy blue yarn the black all but disappeared.

Truthfully, Gavin's really not all that surprised to learn that I've never seen a Dr. Who episode; apparently there are huge gaps in my film and TV viewing that need to be addressed. We've watched Young Frankenstein which was a must after I stared blankly at his impression of Inspector Kemp and his mechanical arm. Blazing Saddles was rented when I failed to recognize any of the memorable scenes or quotes from that classic. And then when I admitted I'd never watched a Clint Eastwood movie, didn't know who Lee Marvin was, or ever watched Cat Ballou ... uh oh. We did watch the American version of The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo on the weekend and concluded that, other than the soundtrack, the original Swedish movies were better in every respect. Sorry Daniel Craig, even you couldn't save that movie.

9 comments:

Renee Anne said...

I have a love in my heart for Doctor Who...but I didn't start watching it until I met my husband (and we will have been married for 3 years this August - so we've been together for 4 years).

And yes, the blue needs to be different but you also made a craft decision about the black showing up and although the blue isn't quite right, the black shows up and that's important, too.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Clint Eastwood film, either. No desire to.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Cute!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a movie person at all and it drives my personal trainer NUTS when I don't get his references to movie scenes. LOL

Anonymous said...

P.S. The socks are GREAT!

Frieda said...

I'm not a Dr Who fan either, but think those socks are pretty cool and would be an awesome gift for someone who is . I saw a pattern for an ipad cover on ravelry recently , that is almost the same .I'm guessing it must be the same designer .

Caffeine Girl said...

Cute socks.

Am I the only person who hasn't watched Dr. Who? I'm starting to think I need to remedy that.

WildflowerWool said...

I have only seen Dr. Who a couple of times and just recently because hubby was watching it. Great socks though!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I haven't watched Dr. Who either. I'm glad your brother is helping to fill in the gaps in your pop culture knowledge!

The socks look great!

Anonymous said...

Tardis socks, how genius!