Tuesday, April 24, 2012

FO: GAP-tastic Cowl


I've made this GAP-tastic cowl to use up whatever remained of the bulky yarn for Jackie's cowls and headbands - Cascade Yarn's Lana Grande in a mushroom-y brown. It's peruvian highland wool, so it's soft, warm and lofty; perfect for a cowl like this.

The pattern is written for bulky yarn, so using super bulky yarn I decreased the number of stitches to 111 from 131. Besides, Jackie's quite petite and a number of Ravelers found the finished cowl as written too big, so I thought I'd better err on the side of smaller. Now that it's been blocked, I think that's the right decision. The cowl loops twice around the neck; to make it tight at the neck you could tighten up the inner loop.

You should also know that the pattern directions ask you to knit for 15 inches however I knit until the yarn ran out and wound up with a 10 inch cowl. Again, many Ravelers shortened their cowls too because they found it was getting too wide. I'm okay with it as is, but I think I might have liked it a couple of inches wider. If I did it again I'd aim for 12 inches, particularly if it were intended for someone as tall as me.

Overall I'm very happy with this cowl. The simple stitch pattern worked in bulky yarn makes a really pleasing, comforting fabric. Almost makes me nostalgic for winter weather.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks very snuggly!

Carolina22 said...

Lovely! I have bulky yarn I don't know what to do with so I'll see if I have enough to make this :)

Erin Kate said...

Ooh, so pretty & warm!

Frieda said...

Very nice , it looks like it will be cosy and warm ! I actually like your smaller version better than the original which in my opinion looks a little too big. It almost dwarfs the person wearing it ...

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

It looks very cozy and warm!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

that looks like the perfect cowl!

Stefanie said...

Great cowl! Anything in bulky/super b just turns out so awesome. The length is perfect on you.

Andria said...

Love it! Already in my queue, it is so nice!

heather said...

I really love this cowl pattern and yours looks fabulous! One of those times that I wish I was a knitter.