Tuesday, April 10, 2012

FO: Friday Harbor Socks


Thick, comfy, nubbly socks! Knit in a sport weight sock yarn, Regia Nautica 6-ply, these are the thickest and warmest socks I've ever knit. I doubt there'll be many more sport weight socks for me, though; I prefer thinner socks inside my sneakers. Still these would be good inside boots in winter, wouldn't they?

The pattern is Friday Harbor by Nancy Bush - one of seventeen patterns in Knitting on the Road. Since July of last year I've knit most of these patterns, and with these socks completed, there are three patterns remaining to attempt. Each pattern has been a pleasant surprise - I've learned new cast ons, Estonian braid techniques and new heels - and the finished socks have almost always exceeded my expectations. These Friday Harbor socks also turned out better than I hoped, particularly after adding 20% more stitches to make a bigger sock. The fit is perfect.

A special thanks to Gavin for modelling today. When I suggested this pose - one foot flat, one turned and balanced on tiptoes - to show off all the patterning in the sock I got an exaggerated eye roll. And as he stood patiently like this, and while I fumbled with my camera working desperately to change the settings away from SuperMacro, a GO Train passed by. "Everyone's pointing and staring" Gavin complained. I doubt that, we're not that close to the tracks, but point taken. I'm pretty sure I owe him a big favour for this one.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all owe our knit-ware models. But the socks look adorable!

pinkundine said...

They look great :) And kudos to your model for such a wonderful pose!

Anonymous said...

Nice-looking socks. Yes, that's a very patient model you have there ;)

Sandra said...

I love it!!!
is so good when we like what we do!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Love these! Wow, you have made a ton of socks in the past year - you are definitely on track to finish up the book by June.

And Gavin is a superb model!

MarkWWNB said...

Those are a man's feet? I never would have guessed! They look like feet that aren't used to socks of any kind!

Stefanie said...

LOL! I love the moaning; thank goodness the train passengers couldn't see the lace pattern on them ;O).
Those socks are just wonderfully awesome!

Anonymous said...

Yeahhhhhh...you probably owe him big time. Maybe you could knit him some socks. ;-)

Your socks look GREAT!

autumngeisha said...

A+ to your lovely pair of socks and your superb sock model. Love that pose!

Liz said...

The socks look great! You're lucky to have a patient model :)

Anonymous said...

Those look awesome. I love the color and pattern you did.