Thursday, April 5, 2012

Friday Harbor sock one


You'll have to take my word for it; it's a much nicer sock than it looks in the photo. At various occasions I've complained about the photography in the book, which I don't find shows these sock patterns to best advantage. In this case, my photo doesn't do the Friday Harbor pattern any favours either. Because the most interesting part of the pattern is the central motif where rows of eyelets mimic the wake of a boat on a smooth lake. Maybe once the second sock is done, I'll find someone to model the socks and show off the pattern properly.

The wool is 6 ply Regia Nautica, so it's much thicker than my usual sock yarn. And knit on 2.75mm needles, this sock pattern takes no time at all. Looks like I'll have a finished pair in time for my Year of Projects update on Sunday. Not surprisingly the finished socks are also very thick. I'll use them as boot socks or socks for around the house - they're too thick to wear inside shoes I think. I guess I still prefer socks from light fingering on size 0 needles! The colour of the yarn - red splotches and all - is starting to grow on me. As I knit I think of Raspberry Cobbler, although more cobbler and not so much raspberry.

Mostly these days I'm trying to decide what to knit next. I've got a quick project to knit at the request of a coworker - a headband and a cowl from super bulky yarn - but after that, then what? Maybe a couple more baby hats to work through a bit more of the yarn in my stash?

8 comments:

Pumpkin said...

Very pretty! I would be very interested in seeing a more close up picture of the socks because I always admire your attention to detail and I want to see those pretty colors!

Frieda said...

That is such a pretty sock , I think the colour is gorgeous !

Anonymous said...

The cuff is very interesting. Does it stay up well?

The sock is gorgeous.

Carolina22 said...

Beautiful! I've never made socks but would like a heavy pair to wear around the house so will keep these in mind.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love the sock, and the red bits look like they belong now

Stefanie said...

A-w-e-s-o-m-e!
I think of raspberry or strawberries with brown sugar!

Liz said...

The sock looks great! You're doing really sell with your destashing :)

Alittlebitsheepish said...

The 6 ply Regia is perfect for boot socks and gets softer as it is washed. Your sock looks great, looking forward to seeing the pair being modelled.