Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Work in Progress Wednesday


Maybe it's the wild red stripes, but almost immediately these scrappy socks named themselves "Cat in the Hat" socks in my head. They're kind of fun and not very serious, but hopefully there's a child in Northern Ontario who will appreciate them after I donate them to the Warm Hands Network.

The red yarn is Frog Tree Alpaca - really soft and really warm. I think they'd be perfect inside boots on a wintery day or even as bed socks in a poorly heated home. It's nice to put the red yarn to use, after all there's been just over 180 yards of it in my stash for three years waiting for the right project. And the wheat coloured yarn is Regia Nautica 6-ply. There was just enough leftover from my last pair of socks for heels, toes and a couple of stripes. By the end of this second sock, all the yarn should be pretty much used up.

I've knit the sock toe-up with an afterthought heel. For the bind-off at the cuff I've devised a hybrid of a traditional bind-off and Jeny Staiman's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off (JSSBO) - I like to think of it as my not-so-surprisingly moderately stretchy bind-off. Binding off in K1P1 rib, I process the knit stitches like a traditional bind-off but process the purl stitches like JSSBO. The result is much stretchier than a traditional bind-off but not so loose and wobbly as JSSBO.

For the last few days I've really been in the mood to knit up scrappy socks, so I might just start another pair once these are done. Heaven knows there's no shortage of scrap sock yarn in my stash. And they'll definitely be put to good use in the northern communities in Ontario, Labrador and Nunavut. It's -16° C in Rankin Inlet right now as I type. Brrrrr!

I'm linking up with Tami's Amis today for Work in Progress Wednesday. Check out the links here to see what everyone else is up to!

21 comments:

pinkundine said...

Excellent use of scrap sock yarn - all my scarps are so uncoordinated that I shudder at the thought of the monstrosities they'd create!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I love the colors. Yay to stashbusting! I definitely see the Cat in the Hat connection.

Rhian Drinkwater said...

Ooh, I like the sound of that cast off. I've just done my first pair of toe-ups and used the sewn cast off, but I'm not fully committed to a method for the future yet!

HannahW said...

I am sure some child will not on;y appreciate them but feel the love that was knitted into them.

I found you through WIP Wednesdays. Here is my project of the week: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-tuesday-bunnys-birthday-dress.html

Carolina22 said...

I love the colors too and great use of scraps!

bookworm-Mary said...

Love the stash-busting idea! If I knit socks, mine would all look like this :)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Wow! It seems like you just whipped that sock up out of no where!

SarahFay said...

The colors look awesome in the sock. I agree they do remind me of the Cat in the Hat.

Leah said...

Hehe Cat in the Hat socks. They look great!

Stacey (FreshStitches) said...

Oooh, I just read about an afterthought heel... I want to try that, soon!

Opal @ Celebrate Life said...

They do have a "Cat in the Hat" vibe going. I like them, and how kind of you to donate them to those in need. I do the same with quilts, and crocheted bears.

My work in progress is a crocheted Amineko... I should be finished tomorrow.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Cat in the Hat is so right on! Love your Harbor socks too ....and a sock knitting book I dont have...

Jen said...

Love the socks! Great way to use up scraps.

Liz said...

The socks look great adn the colours really do work perfectly together. I'm in awe of how fast you're working through your stash!

Andria said...

Aren't you clever--gorgeous socks for someone in need AND knitting down your stash. I think they are lovely, if I tell you my house is poorly heated (it is) will you send them for my feet? He he he.

Karen said...

Your socks are gorgeous! I'm sure they will be well loved by whoever receives them.

Anonymous said...

wow you did a good job. That is one of my next projects. I so need to learn how to knit socks. I love how they turn out with the pretty color yarns:)

Caffeine Girl said...

Thanks for alerting us to this great charity. I traveled to Newfoundland and Labrador some years ago and fell in love with that part of the world!

Frieda said...

Another great pair of socks and yet another way to use up the stash ! You almost have me wanting to knit socks from the toe up ;-)) ...

behind the ivy said...

They sound (and look!) like very cosy socks, I'm sure they'll be much appreciated by their new owner! I love the colour combo too, perfect balance of colour and neutrals. I love how stripes stretch yarn that little bit further as well :)

Stefanie said...

I so love them! Are you worryin' about the jogless jog with these socks?