Sunday, April 8, 2012

Year of Projects - Friday Harbor 02


Knitting on the Road: Canada • Canal du Midi • Conwy • Dalarna • Denmark • Friday Harbor • Hiiumaa • Huron Mountain • New England • The Road to Oslo • Santa Fe • Spey Valley • Christmas in Tallinn • Traveler's Stockings • Uinta Cabin • Unst • Whitby


It's not quite a finished pair, but with the heel turned and the gusset complete, it won't be long now. For whatever reason, the rest of the foot usually goes very quickly for me. Last week's decision to rip out and restart on 60 stitches has proven to be the right one; the sock is a good size now.

The best part of this Friday Harbor sock is the pattern across the front of the sock that's meant to suggest the wake of a boat. Perhaps you won't see it right away - after all I haven't picked the most watery coloured yarn, have I? - but it's an attractive geometric pattern nonetheless. The leafy cuff is attractive, but it doesn't stretch as well as the rest of the sock so I wouldn't use it again. Looks nice though, doesn't it?

Seems like I'm going to have a fair bit of yarn leftover once the second sock is done, but I have a plan. I figure I can match it up with some raspberry colour alpaca sport weight yarn leftover in my stash - 6-ply sock yarn for the heels and toes, alpaca for the legs and feet. That should make for a nice warm pair of scrappy socks! Perfect for donation to the Warm Hands Network.

By early next week there'll be just three sock patterns left to knit in my year of projects. That's very do-able! I suspect it'll be Santa Fe socks I'm blogging about this time next week; I've already sorted out the yarns from my stash with that pattern in mind.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, they look really great. Congrats!

Sandy said...

They look nice and comfy....you're like a sock machine...you just keep em coming.

WildflowerWool said...

It is always fun to see what socks you are working on!

Anonymous said...

Once I get past the gusset, the socks really fly off the needles too. I always thought it was because 1/2 the stitches are just simple stockinette.

Your socks look great.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The look great, I love that pattern on the the front

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

These look great. This book definitely has a lot of cool patterns!

* said...

They do look good, I like the geometric lines in them, and even if it's not a watery colour it is still a nice one.

Get you with so little left to do, I should certainly be feeling very smug!

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

Those look great, I love the pattern! And scrappy socks sound like a brilliant idea.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

They look super

Unknown said...

Really love those socks and I like the colour, can't believe you've only got 3 pairs left to knit and I love the upcoming Santa Fe one's I've just checked them out. :)

Liz said...

The socks look great. I love the lace pattern. Your plan to use up the left over yarn sounds perfect!

kate said...

They are lovely! I can see the wake pattern too :) Well done with only three pairs left to go!