Sunday, April 22, 2012

Year of Projects - 02 Santa Fe


Knitting on the Road: Canada • Canal du Midi • Conwy • Dalarna • Denmark • Friday Harbor • Hiiumaa • Huron Mountain • New England • The Road to Oslo • Santa FeSpey Valley • Christmas in Tallinn • Traveler's Stockings • Uinta Cabin • Unst • Whitby

My first Santa Fe sock fits, and here's why:
  • I increased the number of stitches for the cuff to 70 sts
  • I worked the colourwork section of the cuff on 2.5mm needles and then switched to smaller 2.0mm needles for the rest of the leg and cuff
  • I decreased 1 st at the end of needle 1 and the beginning of needle 4 every 5th round until 60 sts
With those mods the sock fits perfectly, and if I decide to go back and reattempt the Christmas in Tallinn socks I should do all those same things. Looks like I'll complete the last few patterns in the book Knitting on the Road well ahead of my Year of Projects deadline of end of June, so I might just do that. That unfinished, unloved sock is a blot that can now be satisfactorily corrected. 

Getting back to this Santa Fe pattern, the cuff begins with a double-start double thread cast on and then a few rounds of garter stitch. It's a nice change from ribbing and it doesn't seem at all inclined to curl. It might be a nice option for other garment edges, I thought, as I worked it. Maybe I'll try it on a simple vest next. 

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done on getting the Sante Fe to fit, its a fabalous looking sock and your right about that edge, really pretty. Well done on being able to get the rest of your book finished before the year is out.

Anonymous said...

Congrats :) It's always nice to mod a pattern into submission.

Anonymous said...

I love those rings around the feet!!! Soooooo cute!

Leftycrafter said...

Sock looks wonderful. I have not doubt that you will finish all the socks in the book by the end of this YoP.

Congratulations!

* said...

Great job on your modifications.....definitely worth while thinking through the pattern first and making it work. I like the two rings too, like Dee said, they finish it off perfectly.

WildflowerWool said...

Yay! So glad it fits!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It's looking good- I like the little bit of colour around the foot.

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

I love the pattern of that sock, it looks brilliant. And I'm so glad it fits!

Stefanie said...

Hooray! So sock savvy you are. Glad it's workin' out and doin' well.

Kate said...

So so pretty! I love how tenacious and determined you are to get each sock just right.

Congratulations on being ahead of schedule too!

Jen Crutchfield said...

Nice job on the socks. They look so toasty and warm.