Well that certainly didn't take any time at all! When my circular needles were too large for the circumference of the cowl Jackie wanted, I decided to knit it instead on smaller 10mm dpns. And now that it's finished, I'm glad I opted for smaller needles because it's quite nicely sized.
You can probably guess by the photos that I'm not a "cowl person". In the first photo I tried to place the folds of the cowl artfully in a casually asymmetric arrangement, but I'm not sure it's entirely successful. If the cowl were for me, chances are I'd wear as shown in the second photo - folded in half to make a kind of turtleneck. But it's not for me, it's for my coworker and I suspect she'll have no trouble sorting it out just the way she wants it.
The pattern is called "English Rib". That's a new one to me, and I will say I've never worked so many YOs in a ribbed pattern before. I like it though - very bold and strong. For the bind off, a traditional bind off was again too tight, so I worked my hybrid not-so-surprisingly reasonably stretchy bind off and that's done the trick. In fact, seems like a bunch of YOs in the bind off made the perfect complement to the YOs within the main ribbing pattern.
As it turns out the cowl only takes about half the yarn indicated on the pattern, so I'm left with just over 200 grams of leftover. Normally I'd be annoyed by this, but in this case I think there may be enough for another cowl ... possibly a GAP-tastic cowl or even a Bulky Moebius Cowl. Jackie's an avid snowboarder; I'm confident she'll have occasion to put both cowls to good use.
If you've never knit with super bulky yarn, I'd have to recommend trying it. It's pretty fun working with huge needles and huge yarn. Things work up really quickly as you can imagine!