Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Work in Progress Wednesday


Happy birthday to my SIL and fellow knitter Elizabeth! The big 4-0!

That's most of Baby Bobbi Bear done - he just needs arms, ears, an embroidered nose and some duplicate stitching to define his neck. Now that his body is stuffed I'm sorry I didn't switch down a needle size; the fabric could have been a little denser I think, so that the stuffing wouldn't have shown through.

Baby Bobbi's knit in sport weight yarn held double so that's why there are so many partial balls around him. The construction is interesting because you knit his body first, then his legs and then turn him over to knit his head. Doing it that way there are no seams and few ends to weave in. Love that! And look how the lines of the decreases that make up the head shaping create his snout. Neat, huh?

As soon as this little bear is finished I think I may go ahead and make him a sweater from this pattern. How cute is that? Besides, I just bet there's some suitable scrap yarn in my stash that could be put to good use for that. Why I am making a stuffed toy, you might ask? A couple of reasons:


What are you up to today? If you've got some time, check out the links at Tami's Amis. I'm constantly amazed by the creativity and productivity!

13 comments:

Sarah ~ Crafts from the Cwtch said...

Great bear and a great cause.

Hope you'll be enjoying some birthday celebrations with your SIL and friend
x

geeky Heather said...

Omigosh, that bear is going to be so cute! I love it when pattern makers think out of the box when it comes to construction...ESPECIALLY if it means I have fewer seams to sew! =)

bookworm-Mary said...

such an adorable bear! And I love projects that have a huge list of pros in their favor :)

pinkundine said...

Awww, he's just so cute!

Frieda said...

That will be one cute bear and going towards a good cause to boot !

Anonymous said...

That little sweater is too cute! The perfect accessory for the little bear

Emily said...

omg ... a tiny sweater for him would be adorable!

Anonymous said...

He's adorable and will be even CUTER with a new sweater.

Andria said...

Oh, he's going to be just adorable! Great project, and a sweater will be cute too :)

Stefanie said...

I like how you're knitting in a different color that most bears come in. A sweater would be a great addition. My little one is bugging me for one for her teddy.

Liz said...

The bear is so cute! The construction sounds really clever, and I love the neat little nose. :)

Isaida said...

cute bear and great cause :)Can't wait to see him finished.

Black Shadow Stripe Suit said...

Super cute! Can't wait to see that bear.