Friday, April 6, 2012

Finished Object Friday


Last week one of my coworkers gave notice; she's young, early twenties and I guess she decided this business wasn't what she wanted to do with her life. Better to cut her losses now and move on. When I spoke to her to ask about her plans she meekly enquired whether it was too late to get a handknit headband.

It's just as well she sent me pictures of what she wanted because this wouldn't have been the pattern or the yarn I chose for myself. There's no doubt though, she sent me two different photos from the web of this same headband and then picked out the pattern from the Ravelry database. The pattern is a ribbed pattern knitted flat in super bulky yarn on 12mm needles. A single twist is added before seaming at the back. I was just about to say that the whole thing took no time at all, but that's not true. After knitting and finishing the headband according to the pattern directions, Jackie tried it on and it turned out to be miles too big. So I pulled out the seams, unpicked the bind off and tinked back a couple of inches and then refinished it. Much better!

The yarn is Lana Grande from Cascade and it's lovely -very soft and very lofty. I wasn't sure about the colour but I was under some strict instructions - not black, definitely not white, not off white or cream (she particularly hates those colours), more of a beige-y neutral or even a mushroomy colour please. After trying on the headband she seemed very happy with it, so I think I chose well. In fact, she then asked about the chances of getting a matching cowl - she wasn't sure what they were called, those neck thingies but she seen some for hundreds of dollars in the shops of Queen West and she'd like one. At a gauge of 7 sts per inch, I think that can also be done in short order.

Today is the Good Friday holiday but for me the day is tinged with sadness as it's the three year anniversary of my Mom's passing. We're heading out to spend the day with friends at their lakeside cottage. The weather is perfect - bright, mild and sunny - just as it was three years ago. We will miss her every day of our lives.

Check out the links at Tami's Amis to see more finished objects today and have a great weekend!

9 comments:

WildflowerWool said...

Cute headband! Gotta love those big needles. Enjoy the long weekend and the good weather!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Yikes, there were a lot of restrictions! But I'm glad the final project turned out well.

It's also the 5 year anniversary of my grandmother's passing (and it was also Good Friday when she died), so I understand. I'm sending my thoughts your way so that the next few days can be filled with good memories of your mom.

Stefanie said...

I'm sorry your mum passed 3 years ago. Hugs. Maybe you could light up a candle in her favorite scent during your holiday?
I love the headband! I would rock that.

Tanya said...

so much for a quick easy project! good result though!

One pair of Hands said...

The head band looks good but I laughed because I have a pattern for a neck-warmer which has the very same twist. So next time the headband turns out too big, you might try it as a neck-warmer to see how it looks - might save pulling it out?

Memo Box said...

That's a lovely headband and the cowl looks lovely too.

Sorry to hear about your Mum, I hope you had a nice peaceful day to remember her.

Caffeine Girl said...

What a lovely parting gift!

Was reading back and admiring your willingness to track your knitting costs and then share them! You must knit like the wind. You get so much done!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your mom. I lost my grandmom about this same time of year.

It always seems harder when family passes around a holiday.

Hope you have a good Easter.

Andria said...

The headband turned out well, it is always nice to whip out projects on bulky yarn. Lucky co-worker you have, a cowl on the way too!!