Friday, April 13, 2012

Finished Object Friday


No surprise here - yesterday afternoon I finished my second Cat in The Hat sock while watching files upload on my computer at work. File transfer is a lot like watching paint dry, and it makes me a bit stir-crazy unless I have some knitting to do while I wait. That's my secret for how much knitting gets done - travel knitting and knitting through the boredom at work. In fact I had enough time at work to weave in all the ends as well, so these socks are well and truly done, ready for the Warm Hands Network's September shipment to Moosonee.

It's a plain vanilla sock knit toe up with sport weight yarn on 2.75mm needles. That's another reason why these socks were done so quickly - heavier than usual yarn on bigger than usual needles. After completing the second afterthought heel I've got about 3 grams of Regia Nautica left and slightly more of the red alpaca yarn. Maybe there'll be another scrappy sock with wheat and red coloured stripes?

Another scrappy sock; that's what I should do next. But instead I've pulled out some leftover sport weight superwash wool with a plan to make a Baby Bobbi Bear. Years ago my Mom made one and it was really cute. I came across the pattern amongst the things I inherited from her. It's nice feeling as I knit to see her notes and marks in the margin as I go along. Makes me feel a little closer to her.

This Friday the 13th I'm linking up with Tami's Amis for Finished Object Friday. Despite the date, despite the black cat that's circling my feet begging to be fed, I feel pretty lucky today. How about you?

14 comments:

pinkundine said...

I so wish I could knit at work! But, even though my boss is also my boyfriend, I don't think I can get away with it ;)

Love the socks, they look great :)

Nic said...

Aww that teddy is very cute and how lovely that you can knit the same pattern that your mum did. Those socks look fab. I need to cast some more on but my last pair were a bit of a disaster so I am still sulking.

Thanks for the idea of buying up quilters left-overs. I love the scrappy look and less cutting out is wonderful in my book!

I hope your Friday 13th carries on well. I have two grumpy children and a grumpy husband here at the moment but I am resisting joining the grumpy gang ;)

Opal @ Celebrate Life said...

My eight-year old daughter had a pair of Cat in the Hat socks, but she outgrew them.

She did see your other blog post featuring the socks, and has asked me to make some for her, I most likely will do that this summer. I've never crocheted socks, so I most likely will knit them.

Hi, I'm Vicki said...

ooh these socks are really pretty, i need to learn socks. your colours are awesome.

Renee Anne said...

Love the socks! I wish I had time to knit........not so much unless I stay up late.

As for Friday the 13th, it's just another day to me :)

Anonymous said...

They turned out really cute. Someone will really have some happy feet next winter.

Unknown said...

The socks are so cute! the socks from the other day were simply stunning. You go girl!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I love the second set as much as the first. Thanks for sharing the link to the Baby Bobby Bear.

Unknown said...

Oh I like those socks. you are so lucky to be able to knit at work. I would get so much more done with an extra 8 hours

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Super socks, I love stripes :)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Those will definitely keep some little feet warm!

Stefanie said...

What awesome socks! I'm so itchin' to CO for a pair but I've got other projects to finish up...sigh.

HillyT said...

Those are lovely socks, it is almost enough to tempt me to have a go. The bear is perfect.

kate said...

I love those! Adorable :)