Tuesday, May 26, 2009

sock update


Slowly but surely the sock's coming along. Just finished the gusset decreases and worked half the first chart repeat for the top of the foot. And like so many other things, it looks harder than it is.

But what amazes me is how many people have asked whether it's worth it. "Wouldn't it be easier to just buy socks?" Which is really missing the point, isn't it? Using that logic how would you justify doing a crossword puzzle or playing golf. It's leisure. It's creative. It's not meant to be an efficient or economical way of making socks. For the hours of enjoyment I'm deriving from knitting this sock, it's darn good value for my entertainment dollar.

4 comments:

Susan said...

I guess if you've never worn a hand knitted sock, you just don't know. I'm always amazed at the people who think I could make money by selling the socks. Yours is looking good.

Mrs. Homesteader said...

Yes...buying socks is easier. But then they're not hand knit, are they? ;-)

suse-the-slow-knitta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
suse-the-slow-knitta said...

different folks, different strokes. I must admit that I didn't "get" sock knitting until I'd made my first pair and worn them countless times. I'm an addict now...



OOPS! first post deleted for stupid typos