Sunday, July 17, 2022

Year of Projects 12: Week 3


Sorry for missing last week. I was crazy busy with work and other obligations, leaving me with no chance to knit, or blog, or anything else for that matter. But I think I'm through the worst of it, and in the last few days I've had a chance to return to these socks.

These are my Kroy Turquoise Stripes Socks. I've used the recipe for a flap-and-gusset heel from Modern Knitting found here. I'm a big fan of German Short Rows with their very tidy double stitches. It makes a really nice heel with no holes.

I was thinking that I'd make a smaller pair of socks for a friend, but I tend to mindlessly knit socks to my exact size. My feet are long and narrow, and everyone else's feet seem improbably small when I'm eyeballing where to start gusset increases. Oh well, I'll get good use of them. Sorry friend, you're out of luck again!

Although my original intention was knit until the yarn was gone, anyone who has used Kroy before knows that the yardage is scant for large socks. Rather than settling for a short leg, I'm adding some stripes of leftover black yarn. I think it's not too discordant with the original stripes. And yes, I switched to k2p2 rib to make for a really comfortable sock. 

I hope to finish sock one in the next few days and get a start on sock two. Back in the day I'd have the pair finished by the end of the week, but that's not likely to happen  these days. Earlier in the year, I'd been taking part in daily and weekly art challenges and I'm hoping to get back into routine sketching as well as knitting.

Have a great week everyone. If you're interested in joining the group of us doing a Year of Projects, you can find us on Ravelry here



4 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Looking good. I love a nice snug sock too.

Anonymous said...

I like the black stripes in your sock cuff. MaureenHD

Leftycrafter said...

I think the black looks quite natural with the other yarn.

HighlandHeffalump said...

The yarn is a pretty colour and the black contrasts really well.