Sunday, July 3, 2022

Year of Projects 12: Week 01

It's been a minute since my last blog post, huh? So many things happened - some good and some bad - but life's like that, right? But I'm still here and I'm still knitting, so I'm rejoining my virtual knitting friends and picking up my blog where I left off.

Today marks the first day of the first week of the Year of Projects - a Ravelry Group of like-minded knitters trying to set goals for the year ahead and find motivation to finish those projects. For this year, my plan is to finish the projects I have on the go and then work though more of the yarn I have on hand. 

First project: Kroy Turquoise Stripes socks. I picked up the yarn at Michaels and started these socks a few weeks ago. The yarn is really nice. Lately I've been finding a lot of sock yarns are thinner than I'd like, but not this one, it's just perfect. And what lovely colours!My plan is to knit monogamously on these socks until they're done. I'm knitting toe-up vanilla socks so it's mindless TV knitting. And I decided to knit toe-up so that I can carry on until all the yarn is gone. The last thing I need are more sock yarn scraps!

Second and third projects: Purple socks, two pairs. I received two skeins of sock yarn as a gift last year and thought I might like to combine them in a scrappy lengthwise scarf. But honestly, I'm finding the result disappointing. The new plan is to frog the scarf and knit socks instead. 

The variegated purple will be some very plain ribbed socks. It's too busy a yarn for much pattern - maybe something like "Solace" by Anne Fletcher? Or maybe even simpler than that?

The solid purple yarn is definitely intended for a fancy pattern. Maybe "Pastiche" or "Clerestory" by Makenzie Alvarez? I'm definitely feeling drawn to architectural types of patterns these days!

Fourth project: Volturi Palace Socks. These were started more than a year ago and I have since misplaced them - hence no photo. The two colours of yarn are from Shelridge Farms - natural and mulberry colours. If I don't happen across this project in the next couple of weeks, then a closet clean up is in order. I remember them being a very satisfy, not altogether vanilla knit.

Also on the list in no particular order: 

• I was given the book Saltwater Mittens for my birthday last year, as well as the necessary Briggs & Little yarn. In the colder months at the beginning of the year I found myself really enjoying knitting these colourful mitts and completed three pairs in succession. I'd like to work through more of the patterns, although perhaps waiting until after the heat of summer is passed.

• I'd like to work through more sock yarn scraps using patterns like "Color Palette Socks" by Laura Moorats. It's always to see how the scraps play together!

• I have a quantity of Butterfly Cotton (DK) in burgundy that I'm considering for a summer top like "Ardea" by Ksenia Naidyon 

See you next week!








11 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

Nice to have you back in the group. Your sock knitting always fascinates me. You have some great patterns you do. Now there are mittens and a summer top too. How fun.

MaureenHD said...

What beautiful yarns you are using for your socks. Lots of fun knitting.

Alissa said...

I look forward to following along with your makes. I picked up the Saltwater Classics book while in Nova Scotia in 2019. Maybe I’ll add some mitts to my list!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

OMG!!! I can't believe it's you! So good to hear from you. That's the only thing I don't like about blogging....you connect with people and then they just drop off the face of the earth! You don't know if they died or what? So glad you are back and among the living! I look forward to your sock adventures!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I look forward to seeing your projects progress!

HighlandHeffalump said...

Gosh that purple yarn looks lovely. The mitten book sounds good. I’ll watch with interest the gloves you knit up.

Lucy Bowen said...

Oh it is just lovely to see you and your socks back! The ones you have there look fab. Iam very much looking forward to seeing you get through them!

Cinna Knits said...

I've made a few pair of socks with Kroy, and they are hard wearing and seem to work up really quick!
Nice mix of projects for the coming year, I can't wait to see them.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you have lots of fun projects! I look forward to seeing what you make this year. ~Jen @Carolina Tales blog

Laura said...

The green yarn is lovely and working up beautifully. The purple yarn is just gorgeous and I can’t wait to see what you make with them.

Renee Anne said...

You're back you're back! WOOOHOOOOO!