Wednesday, September 28, 2011

WIP Wednesday

24 squares and counting

For the last week or more I've been working away at these mitred blanket squares for Knit-A-Square - a charity that prefers wool and wool blends for warmth and for their fire retardant properties. All this wool was purchased years ago with the intention of knitting it up for a Canadian charity, but last year that charity changed to request only machine washable and dryable fibers. So I was pleased to see an opportunity with KAS to put this wool to good use.

FO Friday, here we come!
My stack of finished* squares is growing. And by finished* I mean the knitting is finished ... there are still a bunch of ends to be woven in as is clear from the photo. 24 squares and counting. As the stack of squares grows, the pile of unknit yarn is shrinks. I'm guessing I can get five, maybe six more squares out of what's left. With any luck I can get the whole thing done and ready to ship in time for Finished Object Friday. Boy, will it be a relief to knit anything but a mitred square for the next while!

It's been a busy morning already. We've been out to the municipal office to pick up our license for the big event in November. I thought that it would take a lot longer, but as it turned out, everyone in line ahead of us failed to complete the proper forms or bring the proper documentation, so we skipped ahead to the front of the line. We were in and out in 15 minutes. We stopped in to grocery shop on our way home, which I mention because it's rare for Gavin to come along for that. And no wonder; we came home with a completely different list of things - tuna, mackerel, peanut butter, crusty white bread, coke - I don't remember half of that being on my grocery list! We even came back with some paintbrushes. Who knew there was a hardware section in the grocery store? Perhaps it's best I shop on my own; we seem to buy more fruit and vegetables that way.

Check out Tami's Amis to see what everyone else has been up to!

14 comments:

pinkundine said...

I'm terrible at buying random stuff then getting home to discover that I completely ignored my shopping list! Meals become somewhat interesting when that happens ;)

Karen said...

The squares are wonderful. I love that color combination.

Leah said...

That's what happens if I shop without a list (or sometimes even if I have one). Good times.

heather said...

THANK YOU for the link to this awesome charity! I'm going to spend some time poking around and see how I can get involved. Seriously, such a wonderful way to craft and help!

Unknown said...

If I sent my husband to the store we wouldn't have enough food to feed us! He thinks we don't need anything at all. But he sure goes hunting for food to eat and then thinks we don't have enough. You can get those squares done!!!

Amy said...

Woo boy that is a lot of squares!

In response to your question on my blog: yes :) it is a twisted rib. It's the first time I've done it, and usually I hate ribbing, but this wasn't too bad - and I love how it looks!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I have the exact opposite problem with Dave. Everytime I ask him if he wants something - "Nah. It's okay". I could probably feed him dirt and he'd be fine with it.

Those squares are really piling up!

Yarn Changer said...

Great charity. I hadn't heard of them before. I have left over wool, very little left over acrylic that most seem to want.

Contessa said...

I love the colors of those squares! :)

There's something weird about shopping with someone else that magically alters the grocery cart -- I have the same experience with my hubby. ;p

One pair of Hands said...

Yep, that sounds like shopping with a bloke. It certainly relieves the boredom of an ordinary shopping trip doesn't it? Lol.

Marushka C. said...

It's great of you to donate the squares. Thanks for telling us about the charity project, I will look into it.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Your squares look great, love the colour combinations

Sarah ~ Crafts from the Cwtch said...

Wow - that is a lot of squares (and ends!) and they look lovely!

Will be sure to keep an eye out on Friday for your FO! :)

Unknown said...

Your squares are lovely. The color combination is great.