Thursday, September 1, 2011

the big knit update


A reminder postcard arrived in the mail recently, and that's just the kick in the pants I needed to get these little hats for the Innocent Drink company's Big Knit done and sent off. After all, September starts today and the deadline for hats in the UK is mid-October. There's really no time to waste.

This morning I cast on a little red hat. With Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting beside me, I'm decorating this hat with a four row "peerie" - this one looks like a row of staggered arrows. The word "peerie" is Scottish, Alice says, meaning "small" and is used to describe the smallest Fair Isle patterns of one to seven rows. Who knew I'd find this book and all its charted Fair Isles such a useful and interesting reference?!

As of this morning I have twelve little hats done, a thirteenth on the needles and pompoms pre-made for a dozen more, so a grand total of 25 hats is the goal. That should keep me busy for the next couple of days!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute!

stephanni :] said...

looks good! i wish i could knit & wow, you have gotten some progress done!

Frieda said...

Half way there , the one on the go is so cute !

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Sweet little hat. I have not made any yet this year, but it is a great idea for a way to practise colourwork

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

thanks for reminding me!