Tuesday, August 2, 2011

hyperbolic


With my year of projects socks on needles, I wanted to have a second project that was quick, easy and fun. But what? Last night I decided to look through the small projects in my Ravelry Faves and Queue. And here's where it starts:

Ever heard of Hyperbolic Geometry? Apparently it is the geometric opposite of the sphere. On a sphere, the surface curves in on itself and is closed. On a hyperbolic plane the surface curves away from itself at every point. In other words....

In Euclidean geometry, as a circle gets larger, the length of the circumference increases linearly. But with a hyperbolic plane, we're talking EXPONENTIAL increases.

You can impress your family and friends by making your own hyperbolic surface! All you do is increase the number of stitches in each successive row or round of a crochet project.


I think it's going to be an awesome scrubbie. Doesn't everyone needs a scrubbie that looks like brain coral? Prepare to be impressed ....

2 comments:

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Okay, I had to skip the geometry hybolic stuff because that stuff tends to fly quickly over my head. Congrats on finding a quick project anyway !

geeky Heather said...

Why, yes. Yes, everyone DOES in fact need a scrubbie that looks like brain coral! =)