Thursday, April 7, 2011

prepping


With the green blanket done, the time has come to roll up my sleeves and dig into the Lopi that I was given a few weeks ago. I'm starting with seven 100 gr balls of blue; enough for the main colour of a traditional Icelandic cardigan.

First things first; taking a tip from comments on Ravelry forums, I rewound the yarn into skeins to check that the quality of the yarn hasn't deteriorated. Looks good.

Next, with the yarn rewound and tied off in skeins a Eucalan bath seemed like a good idea, not just to soften up the yarn, but also to rid the yarn of a rancid perfumed smell. Turns out that a soak was also needed to wash out excess dye; after two water changes and a vinegar rinse the water finally ran clear.

These first skeins will need a few days to dry. Tonight or tomorrow I need to follow these same steps to prep a contrast colour. By the beginning of next week I should be able to make a start on the knitting part of this project. It's a lot of prep work, but with yarn this bulky, the cardigan should knit up quickly!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty color. Can't wait to see what you chose for contrast.

WildflowerWool said...

Looks like a fun pattern. I like the blue colour.