Saturday, October 3, 2009

insurmountable problems


When I started my Vespergyle mittens I wasn't sure I'd have enough contrast colour yarn. So I shortened the cuff and omitted the CC stripes, and determined to knit the thumb entirely in MC. Problem solved. But after setting aside the thumb gore stitches and rejoining in the round I had to acknowledge there was another problem. My main colour Alapaca yarn was noticeably heavier than the fingering yarn recommended by the pattern - the mitten was working up way too big. Although it's labeled sport weight, I'd say it's a light DK. This'll never work! A shame really, because the pattern is beautiful and so is the yarn. I had to pull it out, rewind the yarn and rethink.

Any feelings of distress over the mittens quickly evaporated when I turned my attention to the lovely yarn that arrived by post from the Loopy Ewe. A friend had emailed a gift certificate to thank me for some design work I had done for her, and with it, I'd picked out these skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in a hand-painted colourway called Tuscany. Hmmm. What to knit? Maybe Pomatomous by Cookie A?

1 comment:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

Pomatomus or Monkey would work well that lush Lorna's laces.