Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Work-in-Progress Wednesday


With all those stitches crossing back and forth I thought this hat might take longer than it is. Jared Flood describes his Koolhaas hat pattern as an architectural beanie informed by the work of Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas. It's really interesting and dramatic, isn't it? Both the architecture AND the hat I mean. This pattern has been in my queue for ages; it's about time I got to knitting it.

The yarn I'm using is Bernat Satin - a very smooth and soft acrylic. The yarn was originally purchased for my Wool-Eater blanket but when I started a round with this colour I found it too much for the other colours. So it's destined to be hats now: chemo caps for Halos of Hope.

I'm excited to get started with the crown decreases. That's really the impressive part of this pattern, the way the crown decreases work while maintaining the integrity of the diamond lattice. If I finish this hat on my train ride into work today, maybe I'll cast on another. It's working up really nicely and I have plenty of yarn.

With this post I'm taking part in Work-in-Progress Wednesday hosted by Tami's Amis. Take a minute, have a look and prepare to be impressed with all that's going on in the craft world today!


22 comments:

Stacey (FreshStitches) said...

Oh, that hat is beautiful! No wonder you're excited!

sparkeespud said...

Wow! That is turning out great! I have had it in my patterns for a long time but just never have knit it!

Lee Ann said...

Great pattern!!

Frieda said...

Boy, you're just knocking out those knits ! Very nice ...

Andria said...

Oh my that hat is awesome! Must add to queue!

ElisabethAndrée said...

Impressive work! The color is beautiful and the pattern too! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Love the beanie! Is it knitted with single lattice stitch (I think that is what is called)? Really cool.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LIKE that hat. Very pretty pattern.

Emily (snapdragoncrafts) said...

Oooo... great minds think alike! I have been pondering hats as a Christmas gift item for this year, and Koolhaus is on the top of my list!

Paula said...

Love the way that hat looks! I struggled hard with the one I knit, but it was totally worth it. And it looks terrific in that yarn!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I love that hat! The pattern and the color are perfect. Queue just became one project longer... Thanks :)

sue said...

that looks a really intesting pattern, love the colour too

Unknown said...

I am jealous of those of you who can knit while you commute. I drive to work so I think that would be a hazzard. :)

steph said...

The hat is looking just wonderful! That Jared Flood is truly a master! Love the color, too!

Unknown said...

It is gorgeous! That color is so vibrant.

bookworm-Mary said...

The color and design are fabulous! It has a stained glass look to it- Great job on the knitting :)

SarahFay said...

WOW-it's gorgeous! I really love this pattern. I'll have to look it up.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I love the hat so far, and the color is a great match with the pattern.

Pumpkin said...

I've actually never seen that pattern before, I love it! You did a particularly wonderful job on it : )

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's a cool pattern!

Nicky said...

oh dear that dummy looks like it's been stabbed in the head.

heather said...

I'm sorry it didn't work in your blanket but it is gorgeous in this hat!!! Great cause, great pattern and beautiful color!!!