Saturday, February 25, 2012

FO: Baby Koolhaas


This morning I looked around for something appropriate to model this baby hat - knit as written in Brooklyn Tweed's Koolhaus pattern but with baby yarn on 3.75 mm needles. My finished hat is 12 inches in circumference unstretched - it'll stretch comfortably to 15 inches - and 5-1/2 inches high from brim edge to center top. There's no newborn baby handy and I haven't come up with any other ideas to check the size and fit except to compare the measurements to this chart. Seems like the size is about right based on that.

The finished hat weighs 21 grams, leaving me with 57 grams of white acrylic baby yarn. I guess I can make a couple more. Maybe for the next one I knit I'll follow an actual baby hat pattern to see how the size compares. And then go back to the Koolhaas pattern if everything looks copacetic.

Before starting the pattern as a baby hat I reflected about whether the pattern was too "ridge-y", whether it would be uncomfortable against a newborn's skin or leave marks in a lattice pattern. The second picture shows the knitted fabric on the inside of the hat; as you can see the pattern is quite muted on the reverse and the fabric is fairly smooth. I think it'll be okay.

At least I have a definite plan about what to do with these hats. My sister-in-law is a labour and delivery nurse at one of our local hospitals. Mom used to donate hats through her, so I'll do the same with these. Maybe she can let me know how well they fit and work?

4 comments:

Pumpkin said...

I have next to no experience with babies so I cannot comment on the pattern in that respect. However, I think that any baby who ends up with that hat will look adorable!

sara said...

Pretty hat, love the pattern........I once modelled a hat on a blown up balloon, I even went a bit silly and drew a face on it too.........seemed to work ok. x

Unknown said...

It makes a very sweet baby hat. I am glad you posted that chart for hats. It's hard to make hats for my great-nephew who lives in NC. This will help me determine if it will fit him.

One pair of Hands said...

I love this little hat. The size sounds just right to me and I'm sure the stitch won't irritate a baby's head.