Saturday, July 30, 2011

one more lace collar


To this point I've finished two stoma covers for Kristen's mom. I'd planned to make a beaded one but my beading skills just aren't up to the challenge. For the moment I've put the beading aside in favour of knitting; that I should be able to manage more capably! Yesterday I grabbed some cranberry red cotton from the cupboard and cast on this Diamond Point Lace collar.

It's been a pleasant surprise. The pattern picture was too dark and lacking in detail to see the stitches clearly, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. It's quite a clever little pattern. The neckline is created with three stitches of garter; short rows keep it narrower than the rest of the collar. The main section of the collar is stockinette, but every eight rows switches from knit side out to purl side out to create a billowing ruffle. And then the lace.

Seems to me cotton is also a good choice for this, although I'll concede that the silk hankie fiber recommended for the pattern is probably gorgeous. The little points of the diamonds are going to benefit from some attention from a steam iron. Have you tried knitting with silk hankies? Are you going to? This little collar seems like a nice small project to start with. And if I recall correctly, my LYS is stocking just the right kind of silk hankies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of knitting your own silk hankie. I'll have to check that out.

Your lace collar is beautiful. I love that rich color.