Sunday, January 2, 2011

a relaxing start


For my first project of 2011 I chose a cheap and cheerful hat. The yarn is Lion Brand Amazing which I picked up at Michael's on sale. I was immediately attracted to the yarn for its "Noro-like" colours and transitions. But it doesn't feel like Noro at all; it's more of a light and fuzzy felted tweed. The comments about this yarn on Ravelry broke down into two main themes. Some complained that the colours and transition were muted compared to Noro. That's true, I think, but I'm okay with that. Others complained that tinking and frogging with this yarn is a nightmare. I expected that based on the texture of the yarn.

I decided to go ahead and knit up the Striking Hat pattern from the ball band. It's basically 12 inches of garter stitch seamed to make a tube and then gathered at the top with a pom pom. Very simple, which is probably the best way to show off the yarn. Instead of knitting flat, I chose to knit it in the round to avoid the need to seam the final piece. After knitting through the Leaf game and the last period of the Winter Classic, I'm more than half way. It's been a very relaxing start to the New Year.

4 comments:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

a great way to start the year!

Frieda said...

Oh man , I wish we had a Micheal's in Quebec ! The hat looks pretty darn nice !

I've been knitting socks , almost have one done ...

Anonymous said...

Pretty colors!

A friend at knit group is knitting a scarf with two colors of that yarn. She really likes the yarn.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I quite like the more muted colour changes.