Saturday, October 2, 2010

freshly baked bread


Ahh, a quiet Saturday morning, with no plans except the usual cleaning, laundry and grocery shopping. How nice is that?

With the furnace firmly off and outside temps hovering in the single digits when I got up baking a loaf of bread seemed like a great idea. We're experimenting with this book, Baking Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Our first few loafs were good, but slightly gummy on the inside. Maybe a bit more flour? Today's loaf looks about right but it has to cool before I slice it. Meanwhile the whole house smells great!

Through the resting of the dough, the baking and the cooling we've cleaned the fridge, done some laundry and I've been working on my daisy squares. The designer has offered the pattern for free, but asks that if you use the pattern you make a square or two to send to her. She assembles all the blocks she is sent into blankets for charity. For her squares she has requested either of two colour schemes: pastels on white, or, brights on black. So a black background it is. I have to admit, I'm enjoying crocheting these squares way more than I thought I would.

Question for all you crocheters - do you also have to fight the urge to say "wheeee" as you work half double crochet stitches?

4 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh- I'm going to my grandma's today. I hope she baked bread because now I'm craving it!

WildflowerWool said...

I can just smell the bread from here, lol! I love the crocheted daisy squares. I am not much of a crocheter but those are really cute. I also like the other squares for the other blanket as well. I have a hard time imaging them as a sock pattern though. Enjoy your quiet day!

Anonymous said...

There is nothing better than the smell of something yeasty baking in the house. YUM! Enjoy the bread.

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

mmmm - can smell that bread over here!!! yum