Monday, October 11, 2010

about sock one


With all the driving back and forth, here and there, I've had plenty of opportunity to work on my Embossed Leaves socks. This afternoon I completed the first one. The toe is interesting - it spirals inward. Most people whose notes I read said that they knit the socks as written and were glad they did, so I went with that. Now that it's done, I don't think I like the toe. There's a line of decreases tracking under my toes that bugs me. But these socks are Christmas knitting, so it doesn't matter what I think. Hopefully the intended recipient agrees with everyone else and isn't bugged by the toe. Or, failing that, hopefully she's too polite to tell me otherwise.

This pattern is unbelievably quick and easy. Very intuitive too - not much need to consult the chart after working it a couple of times. The resulting fabric is very stretchy and scrunchy, not unlike Monkey socks. As a result they should fit very comfortably. One thing though, if you're considering this pattern, you may want to avoid very busy yarn. The yarn I'm using is more of a tonal yarn than really variegated, but the visibility of the pattern still suffers for it.

Now, on to sock two! Just about 10-1/2 weeks until Christmas and so much more to knit!

4 comments:

WildflowerWool said...

Happy Thanksgiving! The blanket is so colourful, I love it. The first socks has turned out great. I may try this pattern for a pair of my Christmas knitting. Only 101/2 weeks to Christmas.....yikes!!!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely!

I like the autumnal browns.

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

a spiral toe? how interesting!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I looks lovely so far - I think those will be the next socks I knit - I have some lovely semi-solid green that would be perfect