Monday, December 15, 2008

Newfie Mitts


The first Newfie Mitt is nearly done - just needs a thumb and the ends sewn in. It knitted up beautifully in Frog Tree Alpaca - lovely soft and very warm. Did you know that this is a traditional Maritime pattern? That honeycomb pattern mittens are ubiquitous in some parts of the Eastern seaboard? I think I had a pair when I was a kid, maybe with a knitted lining as well - the warmest pair of mittens ever! Wonder if I can find a pattern for those?

Surprisingly, the pattern is really easy. The two colours are always knit on separate rounds, with two of the stitches in Colour A (purple) slipped between the stitches of Colour B (red). Easy enough that Mom and I could watch The Other Boleyn Girl as we knit. An enjoyable movie for a Sunday afternoon, we agreed, although, the ending is a bit brutal as you might expect.

The second sleeve for my Taiga sweater is nearly done as well. I hope to finish the sleeve and cast on the body of the sweater in the next couple of days. Hope that this sweater will be done for Christmas has pretty much faded. Maybe for New Years, though ... if I knit through some of the holidays!

No comments: