Tuesday, May 24, 2011

blocking - before and after


With the borders complete, the top border grafted onto the body of the blanket and the provisional cast ons unzipped and cast off, the knitting of the blanket is done. Laid out flat before washing the blanket was 28" x 36". And just to be on the safe side, I soaked the blanket briefly in the sink before throwing it in the wash - no sign of colour bleeding into the water, thank goodness.

Now after machine washing in tepid water on the gentle cycle and tumble drying on low heat until just damp, I've laid the blanket out flat and pulled the tips of the border to points with pins. Size after blocking? Without tugging or distorting, the finished blanket measures 38" wide x 52" deep !!!! I'm delighted with that, but I'd think twice before knitting a garment from this yarn! Finished pictures tomorrow, I promise.

2 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Yay for blocking! love the colour!

WildflowerWool said...

WOW! I have never had such a huge change in the final size. It is great for a blanket but you are right, it would be a disaster for a sweater.