Monday, October 15, 2012

fo: Pillow cases

Pattern: Pillow Cases Small Sewing Card by Valori Wells (scroll down towards the bottom of the linked page to see this particular pattern)

Materials: Quilting cotton in three patterns - a light fern leaf pattern, a dark brown batik and a dark green pattern called "Camelot". There is such a huge variety of quilting cotton available that I could readily find colours and patterns that matched my paint colours, my headboard and my existing bedding.

Comments: These really took no time at all (maybe an hour each?) and I love them. It's amazing how a small thing like this makes such an impact in the room. It really ties the colours in my room together. In fact,  I love them so much that I'm already considering making some for the guest bedroom, and maybe some Christmas themed ones ...

 My friend seemed dismayed that I would pay $3 for the Sewing Card pattern, however the front cover image was really bright, colourful and inspirational, and, I have a sincere appreciation for having all the math done for me - exactly how many yards I should buy and to what exact size I should cut the pieces. Well worth the $3 in my mind. I followed the directions exactly as written, and the cases fit my pillows perfectly, every inside raw edge is oversewn to prevent fraying and I had very small scraps of fabric leftover. All good.

10 comments:

pinkundine said...

Looks gorgeous :) I know what you mean about valuing the maths already being done for you too!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

$3 doesn't seem much to spend for that. And they look lovely!

I should consider making some pillowcases. The cats love to sleep on Dave's pillow during the day, and he's forever changing the case to get away from the cat hair - I'm constantly running out of cases!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I agree, those details do really tie a room together. I love the fabric choices! (And I think paying $3 to result in perfect and painless pillowcases is totally worth it!)

Anonymous said...

I think that is a good use of $3! The FO is equally lovely.

Anonymous said...

That color combo is gorgeous.

The thing about the card is --- it made you confident. Well worth the $3 it cost.

Andria said...

Lovely, and I think $3 is a bargain. I love fast, easy, no math, and almost instant gratification.

RobinBrz said...

This is my kind of sewing project! Straight lines, math done for me and a useful, pretty pillowcase when I'm done?!
Brilliant!

Stefanie said...

Neat pillowcase! Great job.

MagicalJane said...

Wow, I saw those and didn't realize you made them. Well done, they're lovely. They remind me, naturally, of those shirts you fell in love with.

MagicalJane said...

Love the Christmas pillow case idea. Great idea for Etsy, as well as table runners, placemats, etc. etc.