Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Work-in-Progress Wednesday


The third month of the Summer of Socks 2012 started yesterday, and I had really hoped to show you my start on the month three pattern. However, after the votes were counted the pattern elected for month three was Simple Skyp Socks -  a pattern I've knit before. It's a very simple and charming pattern but not one that I'm interested in repeating right now. Particularly as I don't have any qualifying yarn in my stash to suit that pattern.

Instead I've cast on the pattern that I nominated, Morning Glory Socks. Lucky me, I won the yarn and pattern about a month ago from Wandering Cat Yarn; had it been chosen I would have been already to go for SoS month three! The yarn is Top Cat from Wandering Cat Yarns - that cashmere content makes it absolutely wonderful to touch. The colourway is Black Orchid; it's the most lovely deep berry purple tonal. The pattern features two assymetrical columns of petals - one climbs up from the toe to the cuff at the top of the leg and another that climbs from heel to cuff.

I've changed things up a bit though. First I increased the primary stitch count to 70 so that I could knit the socks on my favourite size 0 Blackthorn DPNs. Next I changed to K3P2 rib from K1P1, because I thought the sturdier rib was less likely to distort around the pattern. Besides I like wide rib. I also made the cuff longer than the pattern as written. And finally I've knit the heel as eye of partridge. The pattern directions have a slipped stitch ribbed heel that flows from the ribbing on the leg, but after changing my ribbing that pattern detail was lost, so eye of partridge it was.

There's lots going on this work-in-progress Wednesday. Have a look at the links at Tami's Amis and prepared to be amazed!


16 comments:

Pumpkin said...

I love that color, and the pattern looks like a lot of fun to knit, I'm going to have to queue this one!

Anonymous said...

Pretty socks. That color is really pretty.

I like a 3x1 rib better than 1x1 too.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Mom - who did the test knitting - would love your mods. She cursed the 1-1 ribbing the entire time she was knitting them.
I think your mods are great! Isn't the Top Cat nice? We just got the same fibre content in a yarn, but with more twist - we'll be debuting it soon!

Babajeza said...

Beautiful socks. Lovely pattern and colour. There will be cooler days soon ... Hopefully.

bookworm-Mary said...

Lovely color and pattern! I am amazed at how you manage to knit up all sorts of socks!

Stefanie said...

What a fantastic start! I like the eye of partridge heel on it. It's like seedlings embedded deep in the dirt.

steph said...

makes me want to cast on!!! lovely color---great pattern--must queue it!!

Jen said...

Gorgeous socks! I love visiting your blog you always have such beautiful projects to show off! Thanks for sharing them.

RobinBrz said...

I love everything about these socks. Your family must have the most beautiful feat in the country - or world even!! Be sure to take a close up of the leafy detail - it looks awesome!

paulineknit said...

These socks are lovely, and I like the way you have customised the pattern to suit your preferences. I prefer 2x2 rib over 1x1, having a softer feel and looking more classy. The colour is lovely - I like shaded yarns too.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

I love, love, love these! I'm not experienced enough to simply change patterns...but I can't wait to see them finished..

WildflowerWool said...

Off to such a great start. I am going to have to try Wander Cat Studio's yarn someday soon.

stitchin' girl said...

Very nice socks!! The color is gorgeous!

Faith (the Vampire Slayer) said...

These are lovely! I may have queued them with your mods :D

Pink Diva Brat said...

that is such a lovely shade! And the mod pattern is definitely beautiful! I hope one day to have courage to knit socks...not experienced enough yet...I'll get there, though! Thanks for dropping by my blog too, nice to meet you!

Pink Diva Brat

Corrie B said...

I love the pattern, so pretty. Colour is great too. Can't wait to see the FO.