Saturday, October 1, 2011

one crazy large mitt

There's no mistaking Noro, is there? Crazy colours, thick and thin, unprocessed texture and lots of vm ... yup, it's Noro alright. With the assortment of oddball scraps leftover from a sweater I made a couple of years ago, I making felted mittens.

btw, if you were wondering, the mitred squares are done and I just couldn't bear to post one more picture of those squares. I think we've all seen and heard enough of them, haven't we? Just one thing though. Can you believe it's cheaper to pack thirty 8x8" squares to ship by Canada Post as a parcel to South Africa than it is to pack four 6x6" squares as a parcel to ship to North Carolina?! Seems crazy to me!

The first mitten knit up in almost no time; I cast on yesterday early evening and bound off the thumb this morning. The finished mitt before felting is crazy large -  14" from the top of the fingers to the bottom of the cuff! The pattern describes felting the mitts in the washing machine in hot water and a pillow case and, I have to confess, this is the part that makes me nervous. But these are oddball scraps so what's the worst that can happen? Omitting the pillow case and clogging the washing machine with wool fuzz necessitating a costly service call .. that would be the worst thing. It's kind of exciting too! Because if it works, and if it's easier than I think, there are so many cute felted slipper projects to look at.

Apparently I'll still have a small amount of yarn left. Felted Catnip toys?

3 comments:

CrochetBlogger said...

I have actually never worked with Noro even though I've heard it mentioned many many times online. Seems like interesting yarn.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Felting is a lot easier than you think - and it's pretty cool!

Isn't CPs procing structure crazy - it costs us more to send a skein of yarn to Alberta than it does to send one to California!

WildflowerWool said...

Love the mitts (I love Noro). Thanks for the Christmas reminder....