Wednesday, February 23, 2011

finger yoga


The last few weeks I've been worrying about my brother. Worrying because he'd been rushed to ER twice with heart attack symptoms. This morning we received word that he's feeling better and may be released soon. Doctors are working to diagnose and treat the infection that has led to Myocarditis - inflammation of the heart muscle.

Worrying is very conducive to knitting. What did they call it on the NPR program about the Resurgence of Knitting? Finger yoga. Yes, I agree - finger yoga. It really does have a calming, meditative quality, doesn't it? It gives me the illusion that I'm in control of something while I focus on my mantra "Get well, get well, get well, get well .... "

I've made a start on the first of my Knotty or Knice socks. I'm knitting on smaller needles than the pattern suggests - but 68 stitches around the foot sounds like a lot to me. Besides, many Ravelers reported in their pattern notes that their socks ended up too big. Initially I thought the yarn may be too busy for the pattern. Now that I've knit two repeats I think it'll be okay. The pattern is lovely but you just can't do all these crossing cables quickly. Intricate and fussy work, but worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My nephew had myocarditis when he was in his 20s. Scary stuff. Hope your brother is feeling better soon.

Your socks are truly beautiful. Glad the knitting took your mind off your worries for just a little bit.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Knitting is definitely what gets me through stressful times!
Hope your brother is feeling better soon!