Saturday, July 10, 2010

Traveler's Socks


The Caspian Sea Socks, you can understand, are not the best choice for a portable project for knitting on trains, buses or at work. Nor is my Tea Leaves cardigan. So I broke the rules and cast on a third project - Estonian Traveler's Socks from Vogue Knitting. I've had my eye on this pattern for a while. Why? It's challenging enough to be an interesting knit without becoming frustrating. The crossed stitches make very nice cable effects without the bother of a cable needle. And, the absence of yarn overs and eyelets make for a nice, warm pair of winter socks.

The pattern was published in 2006 but there are only 35 other projects on Ravelry. I can't quite figure out why that number is so low. Some Ravelers have complained about fit. Others about the nuisance of all those crossed stitches. So far, I'm finding this a very enjoyable knit. I guess I'll find out for myself how they fit sometime in the next week or so. Here's hoping that they work out nicely, because I was thinking of making another pair or two as Christmas presents.

In the absence of anything unforeseen, the second sleeve on my Tea Leaves will be done tonight. It's about half way now. After that, just one button band and the cardigan is done. Which will bring me back to two projects on needles - one portable and one not.

No comments: