Thursday, July 8, 2010

lesson learned


I stumbled across an important lesson in round 22 of the colourwork pattern. On round 21 yellow is introduced into the pattern. But when I come to the yellow stitches of round 22 the working yellow yarn is waiting on the far side of the pattern. What to do? To paraphrase Priscilla Gibson-Roberts' instructions:

Work the red and purple stitches but slip the yellow stitches purlwise to the end of the needle. Then turn the work, slip the purple and red stitches and, with the wrong side facing, purl the yellow stitches. At the end of the yellow pattern, turn back to the right side, slip all the worked stitches to get back to where you left off.

Simple, neat, easy. Why didn't I think of that? This is going to revolutionize the way I do colourwork, I can tell you that. I'm pretty excited about it. So excited that I held up the colourwork chart and explained the dilemma to Gavin. And wouldn't you know it? Before I could even start to explain the solution to him, he asked why I couldn't just turn the sock and work backwards for the yellow stitches. Exactly. D@mn him.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ahh...Gavin...smart enough to figure out the knitting but not smart enough to ask for help when he needs it...go get help, Gavin!!

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

that's why you're a team!