Tuesday, May 11, 2010

fancy socks


While work continues on the final border of my Heartland Lace Shawl, I've cast on the first of my vacation knitting projects - socks! The yarn? Viola Sock in a colourway called "Red Squirrel". The pattern? Fancy Silk Sock from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks.

I've knit the scalloped edge and a couple of inches of the leg. After the first repeat I considered frogging and changing patterns, but a little voice in my head told me to carry on. Now that I've knit a second repeat I'm glad I did. It took that much for the pattern to really assert itself. The more I knit, the more it grows on me. As well, the more I knit the stretchier the fabric seems. That's a relief ... I feared these socks would end up baggy and slouchy. The only thing left to worry about is whether I'll be finished them before we leave for vacation. They certainly knit up quickly!

2 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I love lace socks! I really need to get back to mine!

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

they look fab- I'm glad you listened to you inner voice!