Thursday, September 11, 2008

Warm Hands

Through Ravelry, I've "met" - in an online sense - Anita, whose Warm Hands Network collects hand knit hats and mitts for Innu Communities in Northern Labrador and other cold places. Mission Falls donated a pattern. Yarn shops across Canada collect the donations. Air Labrador will fly the woollens to Labrador. A Collective of Innu women is waiting to distribute the donations. Wow, this Anita is really organized!

Which got me thinking... there's a lady where my Mom lives who always has something on needles - mittens, socks, hats, just something small that doesn't take a lot of wool. And whatever she knits, she donates. And Mom and I are pretty much always knitting something. Now I've met someone who is looking for just that sort of thing. Hmmmmm.

Mom and I put together some kits for seniors in our community - enough Patons Classic Merino to do a hat, mitts or both, some patterns for charitable knitting, a letter describing the guidelines and tags to personalize to their completed projects. Now, let's see how many woollens we can send to Northern Labrador!

1 comment:

kalyle said...

Hiya - I'm knitting for Warm Hands too. I had to stop by to tell you how great it is that you put those kits together for seniors in your community. What a brilliant, selfless idea! Happy knitting this fall :)