Sunday, September 14, 2008

going for it


After a day and a half of dragging my feet, and after a couple of fortifying beers, I worked up the courage to block my Chicabean scarf. And, I have to admit, I'm pretty happy with the result. Although the steam flattened the cables somewhat, it really opened up the lace panels between the cables. The whole scarf looks better - it lays flatter and, spread out like it is now, it seems lighter and silkier. And it's a relief to have it done.

So I'm on to Express Lane socks for my Knit Along Group. My first Toe-Up socks, so I didn't know what to expect. Then I read pattern notes ... "The instructions for the short rows may seem strange at first, but will make sense once you are actually doing it!" Hmmm, that's a little worrying, isn't it? So I cast on and just went for it.

I'm pretty sure I've messed some of it up. There's a ridge of twisted stitches on the bottom of the foot where I picked them up from the provisional cast on ... that can't be right. And I bet some K2TOGs and SSKs are mixed up in the leaf pattern on the front. But the bright colours of the yarn help to hide it all, and the result is quite striking. Toe up construction is disconcerting, surprising and actually quite cool. And who knows, maybe I'll get a bit better at it on the second sock!

1 comment:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

I found toe ups odd the first time, but on the second sock it made a lot more sense,funny that. Love the colour of your yarn.