Sunday, June 8, 2014

Year of Projects 3: V Junkie

SOCKTOPUS: Totally Vanilla • Kandahar • V Junkie • Kwalla • Farmer McGregor • Shur'tugal • 2luvcrew • Vorticity • Rumpled! • Crowley • Om Shanti • Mince Pie Mayhem • Hundred Acre Wood • De Stijl • Fiori di Zucca • Caretta Caretta • Spring Shoots

With my Year of Projects Blog-Along wrapping up at the end of the month, and with the Socktopus KAL wrapping up at the end of the summer, I'm starting to feel the excitement about nearing both finish lines. There'll be three pairs of Socktopus socks leftover to begin my fourth year of projects, and I'm waffling between two other books for Year 4. On the one hand, I think it would be a tremendous learning experience to work my way through Cat Bordhi's book New Pathways for Sock Knitters. On the other hand, working through Cookie A.'s Knit. Sock. Love. would also be challenging and her patterns are so striking that I'd end up with a bunch of awesome socks. Would it be too crazy to consider doing both? What do you think?

But let's get back to this year's Year of Projects, and the next pattern: V Junkie. I've knit most of the leg - five out six repeats - and so far I'm not loving this sock. The cuff is small, curls instead of lying flat and is not stretchy. The pattern on the leg appears to be directly lifted from the traditional "Newfie Mitts" pattern, although the pattern is worked in a single colour instead of two. There's more vertical stretch (up and down the leg) rather than horizontal stretch (around the leg) which is not great for socks. And unless you have perfectly cylindrical legs, the pattern is distorted when the "cells" are pulled around the wider parts of the calf.

Well, I didn't like the last pair of socks either, but I gave them to Nancy and she loves them. So I'm going to quit my whining and finish them anyway. The other Ravelers taking part in the KAL are a lot more positive about the pattern so I imagine my finished pair will find a good home.

Did you notice the orange tea towels behind my knitting? They're handwoven by Diane Woods who is a member of the Burlington Handweavers and Spinners Guild. The Guild is participating in Kaleidoscope - a show and sale at the Art Gallery of Burlington - along with a half dozen other craft guilds. My sister will love these! If you've never had handwoven tea towels, you don't know what you're missing. I bought a couple for myself too, and Gavin commands that we throw out all the other tea towels; we have to just use the handwoven ones!

10 comments:

Stefanie said...

That towel is extraordinary. What popping color. Gavin got it right. Sorry the sock isn't to your liking. It's a fantastic indigo blue tho. I'd say go for the two books. I think you can do it.

WildflowerWool said...

I agree with Kepanie, love the orange towel, great blue for the sock, and yes go for both books!

Anonymous said...

The tea towel is just gorgeous and your socks look good. I'm sorry they are not knitting up to what you want and will end up being a gift but I suspect the giftee will love and appreciate them. I don't think doing two books that way out there, bear in mind I'm always optimistic with my lists. Perhaps some from both? But at the rate you actually knit socks I do think both books could be achieveable. I do love the cookie ones though they are all gorgeous looking socks.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I agree, the towel is fabulous. I haven't tried a handwoven tea towel but now I want to!

Lucy Bowen said...

Love the tea towel - I too would throw out all others!
I don't know the second book, but I love Cookie A's patterns. I would set myself the target of some from each book. Sorry you don't care for these socks - beautiful colour though!

Sam I Am...... said...

Sorry you don't like the sock pattern. As for 2 books for next year? Go for it! You could do 1/2 of each book this year and the other the next that way you'd get a mixture but not be overwhelmed. I consider you the Super Sock Knitter so not a problem...for me....BIG problem. LOL!
I had a book I was going through last year...Hmpf! I think I finished 1 project but I just keep plugging along....like a slug.
Those towels are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Well, the socks sure look pretty in the picture.

I have some linen tea towels that I adore. They leave no lint behind like the terry towels.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It's a nice bright blue - someone will love it!

Anonymous said...

The blue looks pretty and so does the stitch pattern, someone would love to wear it!

Frieda said...

If anyone can do both books for a year long KAL it's you . You are an awesome knitter . As mentioned before you could knit some patterns from both books . Either way you are in for a great year of sock knitting .

Love the blue socks , the pattern reminds me a little of the circle socks on ravelry , except for the v shape on the instep .