Friday, August 30, 2013

FO Friday: Craft Show Items



Pattern: Cat Paws Christmas Stocking by Michele Wilcox

Yarn: Loops & Threads Soft & Shiny

Hook Size: US H (5 mm)

Modifications: I stuffed my fish to make him 3D

Comments: When I saw this pattern, I thought this might be a good item for a Christmas Craft Show & Sale, along with the corresponding Dog Paws Christmas Stocking. I couldn't help but notice at the summer outdoor market how many shoppers were accompanied by dogs! And after crocheting up a test sample I still think so, in no small part because of how quick and easy it was. The pattern is extremely well written, with stitch counts everywhere you'd want them. The shaping is well done, the sewing up is easy and the finished project looks exactly like the pattern photo. Not often you can say that!

Although I made my stocking exactly as written, I may replace the big fish with three little fish. I'm not sure though - that big red fish is growing on me.  Let's defer that decision until after a first dog paw stocking is made; it's dog bone decoration is similarly sized.

Pattern: Jerry the Musical Monkey by Rebecca Danger

Yarn: Cascade Heritage Sock

Hook Size: US 1 (2.25 mm)

Modifications: Knit at smaller size using miniaturizing mods courtesy of mostlymunchies. With this yarn and these needles he ended up 5" tall from top of head to bottom of feet. Switched yarn colours in body and mouth to mimic sock monkey colours.

As I was knitting the arms I thought they were too short so I added several rows. Now he has crazy long arms! When will I ever learn to follow directions?!

Comments: Another pattern test for the upcoming Christmas Craft Show & Sale. Considering it was knit and finished in a couple of days without much effort, and considering everyone who sees him, wants him, I think he's a success. It's a pretty good way to use up sock yarn leftovers.

It's the Friday before a long weekend - aren't those the best?! Chances are work will be very quiet today. I might even be able to get a good start on that dog paw stocking! What are you up to? I hope you'll join me over at Tami's Amis to see more finished objects!



18 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the stocking, what a cute idea!

Deb Hickman said...

Two very cute knits, my niece would love that monkey. Maybe a good Christmas gift. X

Unknown said...

ooh your kitty stocking is perfect - so cute!! Have a creative weekend xx

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The stocking is adroable! And Jerry's extra long arms? They just make him EXTRA cute!

Janet said...

I love them both!

MagicalJane said...

The monkey's arms crack me up - which I think is a good thing!

The stocking is fab - a quick seller for sure - and I think the single fish is perfect. Your stuffing the embellishment really added to it in my opinion.

Unknown said...

I think your's is cuter than the pattern! I hate Sock Monkeys!!! I don't know why, they just creep me out. LOL!

Jazz said...

Awesome projects! My favorite is the monkey.

Here's my FO: http://mibruno.com/terminada-alicia/

Anonymous said...

Monkeys DO have crazy long arms. Well, at least SOME do. Yours is too cute!!!!

Love the cat paw/fishie pad too.

Congrats on all the cute finishes.

Andria said...

Great projects! I want to attempt a stocking for my dog now :)

Ginx Craft said...

What a cute idea. I think both my cats would love one of those.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Great stocking! I do think that it will sell at craft fairs...people love buying things for their cats and dogs...I once made a monkey with long arms....never again! Now I make monkeys with shorter arms...

Stefanie said...

That cat paw stocking is terrific! I like the shape and how it's decorated. Cute design.

autumngeisha said...

Two wonderfully cute projects! Love the puffy red fish on the stocking. The monkey's arms are a perfect length for hanging around a pole.

Carmela Biscuit said...

What a cute monkey and the Christmas stocking is adorable too!

Hazels Crochet said...

The stocking is a very cute idea :) And I love the little monkey, he looks so cheeky!

Handmade by Stefanie said...

Love these projects, they are both way too cute!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I've mentioned this in in the Surmount the Stash group, but I think these are so cute and will sell really well!