Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Work-in-Progress Wednesday


At the end of March I decided to gather up all my Berroco Vintage scraps to crochet African Flower Hexagon motifs. And for the last several weeks my finished hexagons have been awaiting a border colour. Finally I went to my LYS and made a decision. Okay, truthfully, I didn't really make a decision. Nina and I laid out all the possible border colours and then settled on this navy blue - the only one that had several balls available in the same dyelot. I wasn't sure how many I'd need for joining and borders - more than one and less than three I guessed - so I'll use whatever's left in a Surprise baby blanket. That pattern's been in my library for months, awaiting yarn and inspiration!

My original thought was to "join as you go" according to this tutorial, but after trying it I decided it was simpler just to join it all up with single crochet. Both Gavin and I have terrible head colds, so simpler is definitely better right now! This morning I wove in all the ends, so all that's left is a couple more rounds of navy blue border. Yes FO Friday, I have my sights firmly set on you!

At work, when I haven't the energy or focus to plug away at my Shark Week Socks, I'm also working on a Teapot Cozy as requested by Linda. The pattern has vertical stripes that are gathered in pleats by short floats on the wrong side. It's clever construction but it's a really unpleasant knit - all those stitches tightly bunched on the needles ... never mind this splitty and squeaky acrylic from Michael's Art and Crafts! Yech! I hope she likes it because I don't plan to ever make another of these!

It's Wednesday, so I hope you have time to check out the links at Tami's Amis. There's almost always some surprising and inspirational things going on!

18 comments:

sustainablemum said...

I love your blanket it is beautiful the navy blue looks wonderful!

Barbara at Knitting | Work in Progress said...

Lovely blanket. Am looking forward to the FO.

Nancy McCarroll said...

Love the African hexagons. Pretty!

Elisabeth Andrée said...

Wow, your blanket looks great and your stitches and seams look so neat. Great work!
Thanks for visiting my blog, I have replied your comment.

Vivianne said...

Your African Flower hexagons are beautiful, I also love the color scheme you've chosen :-) and have now had to favorite that baby blankey too :)

Gracey is not my name.... said...

I love the colors you used!!!! And I was thinking of that heel...just have to find the directions....and what we do for friends..I'm sure she will appreciate it...

Stefanie said...

The navy blue is spot on, Lynn! Really sets off the flowers of each hexagon. Cute colors for the cozy. After your review, I'll have to check to see if I've faved that and take it off.

Anonymous said...

The afghan is simply gorgeous. I love the colors you chose.

heather said...

I love African flower patterns. So fun to make! Your colors are really nice together too.

I looked at the baby blanket pattern and that is such a great design. Almost wished I knitted. :-)

steph said...

that navy was just meant to be....it's beautiful!!!

katie metzroth said...

acrylic? what's that about? Is she gonna be hard on it?

Anonymous said...

I love those hexagons! Not sure I'd have the patience for it but looking at the result is certainly motivating.

One good thing about being sick is having more craft time! Hope you feel better soon though.

Anonymous said...

Love your blanket, its just gorgeous and hope you make it on Friday, I've my sights set on it also so here's hoping !

Unknown said...

The color combo is awesome! I love it. May have to try navy with my limey greens! I am not a crochet fan, but I do love that pattern.

Unknown said...

I love the blanket, its gorgeous with the navy!

Candace said...

lovely colours. The navy goes really well

WildflowerWool said...

Navy was the perfect choice. Looks amazing!

Kim said...

That blanket is so gorgeous--wish were in real life friends and you would crochet me a blanket!! ;)
*smiles*