Thursday, January 3, 2013

starting Gavin's gloves


New Year's Eve was a quiet day for us. We spent the day cleaning the house from top to bottom in anticipation of our open house planned for the following day. We stayed up late to Skype with my brother and to drink a few more rum and cokes than was sensible, but we were still in bed before midnight. I just can't manage late nights!

New Year's Day was a blur. Every minute between waking and showering, to when the first guests arrived, was dedicated to cleaning and chopping fruit and veg for trays of finger food. The house was full from noon until well into the evening - it was fun but we were completely exhausted by the end. We stayed up just long enough to clean, pack up the leftovers and move the furniture and knick-knacks back to their usual spots.

Somewhere in the midst of the hustle and bustle I did get started on Gavin's Fingerless Gloves. The pattern he chose is this one - Fitted Fingerless Gloves  - because in typical guy fashion he wanted the simplest,  plainest, boring-est pattern ever. And, of course, any colour as long as it was solid dark grey. "Thin gloves from sock yarn on your little carbon fiber needles" I was instructed.

The pattern is really well-written and has some really clever tricks. The way the increases for the thumb gussets are worked is brilliant - no holes. And the way the round is closed at the base of each finger is also brilliant - only the tiniest of gaps. These might be the first gloves ever that I don't have to duplicate stitch here and there to close up holes around fingers and thumbs. And the fit is perfect! The pattern includes a number of sizes, so it's well worth the price of admission.

Now I had better get moving on that second glove. We've had light flurries the last couple of days, so the sooner I finish, the sooner he can start wearing them!

8 comments:

Catherine said...

Great gloves- I've added them to my ravelry library even though I am not allowing myself to cast on anything till I have finished all my WIPs!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I really need to make Dave a pair of fingerless gloves. Of course, I found his handknit hat shoved in the steering column of his car, holding some electrical stuff together - so maybe he's not quite deserving....

Anonymous said...

They look toasty warm!

Evelyn said...

I'm so impressed with all your cleaning & entertaining! The gloves are really terrific - I'm going to have a look at the pattern.

Stefanie said...

Your NY's open house sounds so fun! I lobe entertaining but hate having to clean beforehand. Glad you had a fabulous time.
This first fingerless glove looks perfect upon your husband's hand.

sandra said...

Wow! I love your description of the gloves! I wanna make one this year, i just need buy the boring-est yarn color: some like grey i think lol
I wish you a very good new year with lots of knitting!

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Happy New Year!

The gloves are looking great

Unknown said...

Love them, even if they are just plain, boring, yada, yada! LOL.