Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Work-in-Progress Wednesday

big time bobbles

Yesterday I made a start on another dishcloth - this time Bobbles the Sheep Cloth from a pattern found here. I've knit this pattern before and have found that the bobbles make good little scrubbers. "You should only knit that kind" Gavin suggests. Our supply dishcloths are looking rather worse for the wear, so it's time to make some more. Hopefully I can knit up a couple of these before Friday. Looks like this first one is not going to knit up very square ... maybe omitting all those rows above and below the sheep motif wasn't the best idea?

a few inches up the leg
I've also been working away at my second Coffee Mates sock - just a simple toe-up ribbed pair of socks of my own devising. You may recall that after finishing the first sock I wasn't happy with the tightness of the bind off. That's been fixed. I spent about an hour with needlework scissors under strong lights cutting and picking up tiny little stitches. Painful but well worth it; the first sock is now refinished with Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off. With any luck this pair will also be finished up this week, maybe in time for a Friday show and tell?

With the holidays over there are lots of crafters like me getting down to business with our works-in-progress. A New Year = new plans, new optimism and new energy. Have a look at the list at Tami's Amis to see all the great things being done!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually use the sewn bind-off on the tops of my socks. It's a pain in the butt to rip back without scissors, but it's definitely possible!

Dutch Hollow Acres said...

I love your coffee sock. The colors really blend into each other so nicely.

I see sheep legs and bobbles!

Paula said...

Love the sheep cloth! I should really knit up some more dish cloths -- they're so useful and cute. Sock is looking great, too.

Anonymous said...

To answer your question about Pretty Thing: It is a fingering weight 100% wool from China.

The name on the tag was "Australia", but the rest is written in Chinese so I don't have a whole lot of info.

A friend brought it back from a trip she make to Shanghai.

Anonymous said...

I need to learn that bind off. I tried it when I was on a "time deadline" and didn't do very well. I need to try it again when I'm not under pressure.

Yarn Changer said...

thanks for sharing the bind off technique.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

I love that bind off for toe up socks. The sheep looks like it is going to be very cute

Nicky said...

oooh i need a simple sock pattern. i started by winging it but have got to the heel and dont know what to do next :(

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

the sheep bobbles sound brill!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

The bobbles definitely help with scrubbing. Looks very cute so far!

Danielle said...

That Sheep dish cloth is uber cute!! might make one to clean my face with :D
and those socks are just yummy!! colours are stunning!! great job!! x

SarahFay said...

Glad you were able to redo the bind off on the sock. Can't wait to see the sheep!