Saturday, May 28, 2011

odiferous


As I continue to knit this Umaro blanket, I've been trying to pinpoint the smell of this yarn. Is it second hand smoke? Is it pet odour? Is it rancid perfume? Whatever it is, the smell is making the knitting quite unpleasant at times. The last ball of yarn was particularly pungent but thankfully the ball I'm knitting now is comparatively innocuous. The yarn is acrylic, a donation to the local community centre, so I'm guessing the odour must originate from the conditions in which it was stored. I've wrapped the remaining balls in fabric softener sheets for now and once the blanket's done it's getting a thorough wash!

The plan for today involves go-karting at the Nascar Speedpark, and even as I type this sentence I think, uh oh, what have I got myself into?! Family is visiting from out of town and it sounded like a fun way for the niece and nephews to spend the day. Yikes! How do people with kids find the energy for this kind of thing? I'll let you know how this all turns out tomorrow, if I'm not too exhausted to post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The yarn may stink, but the pattern is lovely!

Hopefully, the last ball will air out before you have to use it.

WildflowerWool said...

I hope you have survived the go-karting! Too bad about the yarn. That doesn't make for fun knitting :(

Caffeine Girl said...

I admire you for sticking with the stinky yarn! It is a lovely pattern!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That is a really neat pattern. Too bad about the yarn - hope it washes up okay