Monday, January 17, 2011

starting a scarf


With the final pair of socks tucked away in the box ready for mailing to the Warm Hands Network, it's time at last to start something new. My first inclination was to knit up a Serengeti Sun dishcloth, but the instructions for creating the points are completely mystifying so I've put it aside in frustration. Geez, I thought that'd be a simple, instant gratification knit!

Instead I'm starting my scrappy lengthwise scarf. There's no shortage of scrap sock yarn to pick from around here and in selecting this bunch I'm trying to work outside my comfort zone of matchy-matchiness. After all, numerous Ravelers remarked that combining very patterned, very different coloured yarns made the scarf more striking.

A scarf like this is also an unusual choice for me because it isn't something I'd normally wear. But at my new work location there are windows high up on an exterior wall behind my back. The windows are single pane - cold air streams in and down my neck and back. Rather than wear turtlenecks everyday as I have been doing, I thought this scarf would be a useful option.

2 comments:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

a big splash of colour is great in a dismal winter

WildflowerWool said...

I have always liked this scarf but have not knit it. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.