Thursday, February 18, 2010

checking my interval time


With the body of the sweater completed to the underarms, knitting sleeves has become my next priority. With less than a third of the stitches in each round, the sleeves knit up faster and are more portable than the body of the sweater. Meaning? I can knit them at work, which speeds things up considerably. At this pace the sleeves will be done Saturday and the yoke started Sunday ... a full week before the closing ceremonies. No medal hopes here, though - of the 3,331 entrants in the Sweaterboard race, about 100 have already crossed the finish line.

A word about this yarn, Rowan Felted Tweed. On Ravelry the yarn has received mixed reviews, with complaints about itchiness, vegetable matter and breakage. Definitely the yarn is tweedy with small slubs of different colours here and there, but I haven't encountered anything like straw or hay. And certainly some will find it itchy; it's 25% alpaca after all, but I'd readily wear it against my skin. As for breakage, after swatching and reswatching a few times the yarn started to shred, but it's been fine otherwise. I wouldn't like to sew long seams or weave in dozens of ends but happily this sweater has very little finishing, so no problem there. For this sweater, this yarn seems perfect.

3 comments:

Frieda said...

Holy cow , but you're zipping right along ! Can't wait to see the yoke ...

Susan said...

You're doing really well. Great job and I can't wait to see it done.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You may not get a medal but knitting a sweater that fast is pretty cool!